Charles N. Haus Papers
Charles N. Haus was born on December 1, 1921 in Turner, Kansas to Mr. and Mrs. Alvin Haus. He learned to fly in 1938, and after graduating from high school a year later, he attended two years of engineering school at the University of Kansas. In August of 1941 he enlisted as an aviation cadet with the U.S. Navy. Once training was completed, he joined the Atlantic Fleet as a patrol plane pilot, flying the Martin (Glenn L.) PBM Mariner and the Consolidated B-24 Liberator in South America, England, and Africa. He returned to inactive duty as a Commander in November 1945.
Haus flew with Trans World Airlines (TWA) until 1947 when he began flying with Mid-Continent Airlines (MCA), joining Braniff Airways (BNF) when they merged with Mid-Continent Airlines in 1952. Haus was given Braniff ID #36680 and listed as number 282 in pilot seniority out of 435 pilots from both companies.
On Dec. 1, 1981 Haus retired from Braniff after 34 years (29 with BNF and 5 with MCA). In the BISE-Braniff International Silver Eagles Newsletter #46 dated March, 1982, Haus is pictured along with eleven Braniff pilots who had retired within the months surrounding his retirement date.
Haus, who logged about 30,000 hours in his years of flying and had ushered in the jet age after years flying piston aircraft, was now seeing another major change among the airlines: the effects of the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978 and the changes it brought to the airlines in the new environment. He had flown the Douglas DC-3, DC-4, DC-6, DC-7C, DC-8, Lockheed Electra L-188, Convair 240-340-440, Boeing 707-227, 707-720, 727 and the Boeing 747.
Five and a half months after Haus turned 60, the age at which Federal Law grounds commercial pilots, Braniff declared bankruptcy and closed.
As for Haus, he worked as a simulator instructor for Dalfort, Flight Safety, and Boeing, all in the Dallas area, and retired again in November 2007. He still lives in the Dallas area.
Permission to publish material from this collection in any form, current or future, must be obtained from the Special Collections Department, Eugene McDermott Library, The University of Texas at Dallas.