Understanding the Average Electron-Hole Pair-Creation Energy in Silicon and Germanium Based on Full-Band Monte Carlo Simulations

item.page.doi

Abstract

The thermalization process of sub-10-eV charge carriers is examined with treating carrier transport with full-band Monte Carlo simulations. The average energy loss (3.69 eV in Si and 2.62 eV in Ge) required to create a thermalized electron-hole pair, obtained from the simulations, is very close to the experimentally measured radiation-ionization energies of Si and Ge irradiated with high-energy particles. These results suggest that only interactions that occur after the radiation-generated charge carriers decay to energies of similar to 10 eV or less determine the fundamental property of the radiation-ionization energies. In addition to an energy loss equal to the band gap energy via impact ionization, acoustic-phonon emission, which has been omitted in prior work, contributes 30% of the remaining carrier energy loss, while optical-phonon emission contributes the other 70%.

Description

Due to copyright restrictions and/or publisher's policy full text access from Treasures at UT Dallas is limited to current UTD affiliates (use the provided Link to Article).

Keywords

Silicon, Phonons, Monte Carlo method, Electron impact ionization, Photonic crystals, Germanium

item.page.sponsorship

Rights

©2019 IEEE

Citation